Ground Power Electrical Contracting – experience and scope
Ground Power Electrical is independently owned and operated from Nelson by Sean Thurlow.
Sean is a fully qualified electrician with a depth of experience across a range of residential and commercial wiring and electrical installation as well as solar electrical systems and thermographic thermal imaging – an accurate and non-destructive method for detecting faults.
More about the services available with Ground Power Electrical
Solid workmanship that doesn’t cost the earth – the Ground Power Motto
“My aim was to use the experience gained from working in New Zealand, Australia and England to build a great locally owned and operated company, providing high quality workmanship and putting 100 percent into every job I do.”
Ground Power now employs an apprentice, Joe, and has sub-contractors to work along-side Sean on larger commercial projects and to ensure a faster turnaround on residential installations. “We are focused on building and developing a strong team in Ground Power and will continue to expand with demand,” says Sean.
Top Electrical Engineering training through ECTO
Sean Thurlow trained for three and a half years for his Electrical Engineering Level 4 Qualifications through The Electrical Training Company, who pride themselves in training top electricians.
“Training through ETCO meant I had to become proficient across all aspects of electrical work. I started with domestic projects including renovations and new house wiring, ranging from the smallest job to large sized houses.”
“We even travelled by boat to remote locations to install solar systems on large houses, which we wired and connected.”
Sean Thurlow’s electrical contracting career
A fully qualified Sean worked for a year before he decided to go travelling abroad. His work experience continued to provide a solid base for becoming an independent electrical contractor.
- LONDON – 18 months working in building maintenance for AIG Insurance. Notable projects include looking after the electrical services of a sixteen story building, which involved the pre-planned maintenance to ensure the building services continued to work efficiently.
- NEW ZEALAND –Short term contract of a few months at a gold mine. Work involved electrical maintenance and driving an excavator.
- AUSTRALIA – Working for an electrical company in Airlie Beach, Queensland. In charge of overseeing a team of electricians that were wiring and fitting off school buildings. This provided good experience in large commercial buildings, school regulations and how to maintain a high safety protocol. Notable projects include wiring and connecting seven gymnasiums and resource learning centres (libraries).
Setting up Ground Power and settling down in Nelson
With the money Sean had saved from working overseas he purchased a van and start-up stock and Ground Power was born.
“Nelson was the logical choice as my family is from Murchison and my partner’s family is from Golden Bay, and we both went to school in Nelson.
“I like the variety of the jobs that I get to do and the different locations I get to work in. I am also enjoying the challenge of running a business as there is so much to learn in all areas.”
Sean’s commitment to growing his electrical skills and technical knowledge
“I am always looking to expand my knowledge in the different areas of the technical aspects of the electrical industry. Each job is a different challenge and if there is something that I come across that I don’t know, then I will research the best way to be able to achieve this. “
Types of jobs Ground Power Electrical can do for you
- planning and installing the wiring for your new home
- connecting and wiring your new shed or renovation
- delivering safe and reliable commercial and industrial wiring installations
- setting you up with the latest in energy efficient Solar Electricity solutions
- providing accurate, non- destructive Thermal Imaging for detecting faults in industrial and commercial operations or finding broken circuits in underfloor heating and other hidden wiring